Monday, February 21, 2011

Floods


“Save me! Save me! My ears were poisoned by the cries of men. I was petrified and a chill ran down my spine when I saw him.

It was raining very heavily. Though the showers of rain covered the shortage of water in cities facing water scarcity but it’s consequences were bad. Once again a common feature had hit India in southern parts.

The Mithi River had overflowed its banks causing floods in low-lying areas. It was a dreadful scene. The village looked as if it was an island surrounded by a vast sea. Our bus suddenly stopped. We were told to get off the bus. We had to cross the river in boats. The climate was horrifying and everybody panicked with fear. We could see that many people clung onto the trees as floods had entered their shelters. There were helpless victims raising cries.

I told the rescuer that there was a man little far who was crying for help. While going there I saw the carcasses floating on river. I gave a loud scream ‘Aaaaaah! Aaaaaah!’ I was scared out of wits and was quacking with fear. The man was rescued in the end but his family had died. He was shaking from head to feet. I could see food packages thrown from a helicopter. The forceful current of the stormy water had carried away animals like cows, buffaloes and dogs which were the lifeline of some people. The water had Created havoc. It had submerged streets and homes, houses were collapsed and huts were destroyed. After the water had receded people moved rendered homeless. Many of them had lost their near and dear ones and the trees were uprooted. The people were in great distress. The natural calamity had also destroyed the fields and farms.

Floods had even attacked Mumbai on 26 July, 2005. It had created a lot of mess. Floods in Mumbai were even caused due to blockage of drainage systems and sewage. Our minor mistake could lead to several calamities as well as consequences.

-Navya Mehta

No comments:

Post a Comment