Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A dat without water


Saturday arrived like it normally does without much fanfare. With the exhaustion of the school week – study , activities at the school, classes, behind me I was allowed to sleep till late morning , before my Mother arose ME . Saturday's are my 'cleaning' days .

The house was quiet. I was finishing reading the paper and had just started a bowl of cornflakes in order to get in gear for the day ahead. It was to be the normal Saturday routine .

I walked over to the kitchen tap GUESS WHAT!!!!!!

I got the major jolt..

THE tap was dry, water was nowhere . This has always been my nightmare—trust me on this.

Everyone in the building kept on asking, " What's going on?"

Sigh. It seemed a Herculean effort but it wasn't, it was just fear.

Hours pass. And I mean HOURS pass .

I decided to opt out while EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING were pulling their hair in frustration and curl up with a book.

Water? What can you do without it? Not much. How about a list? No laundry, no scrubbing of the bathrooms, no scrubbing the kitchen floors, no real cleaning of the counters with suds and bleach and the tables either, no baths, no brushing the teeth.

A shower? Well, forget that.

We often drone on about water to drink. I was lucky we had Pepsi's chilling in the fridge.. But I'll tell you, a day without water is a day with lots of frustration & desperation. People have survived without food for weeks or even months, but go without water for even just one day – impossible.

But when the water came back yesterday, it was as if the world had been placed properly on it’s axis once again. The first sign was the happy sound of the toilet filling with water.

That is only my small story of a single day without water, yet much of the world live with far greater water problems than we do

So the next time you turn on your faucet and that wet, wonderful, clear stuff runs out, remember to feel blessed. As you are relishing a full force, hot shower or a refreshing glass of water straight from the tap, remember that water is amazing, precious, vital to our existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment