Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rescuing an animal

Rescuing an animal

“Someone please rescue that little dog!” I screamed out loudly. I was horrified. What would happen now?
Flood is a common feature in India. Floods occur due to poor infrastructure and the inability if the government to tackle such a situation. Many people are rendered homeless as well as lose their lives. Last Sunday, Surat was hit by a flood. The hundred year old dam had broken and due to torrential rains, it overflowed and thus caused floods. As a part of my school’s social club, with some fellow students, I decided to be a part of the rescue team in Surat.
When we reached Surat, my heart sank. The people had asked for a good rainfall for a good harvest but it seemed that the rains had honored their blessings just a tad bit too much. Trees were uprooted and cars were damaged. Corpses and carcasses of animals were floating in the water. Water lashed against the compound walls. Surat looked like an island in a vast ocean. The river was in spate and there was respite for the people when the cloud burst in all its fury and it started pouring cats and dogs. My heart was in my mouth.
Suddenly my eyes fell on a dog caught in the debris of a house. His legs were entangled in some wires and he was barking furiously. He was trying hard to break free but it was all in vain. He looked sick. Our stomachs churned in grief and agony when we saw the condition of that poor dog. After a few minutes, we decided to rescue it. We slowly crept towards it so as to not frighten it. We started the task of rescuing that dog. We carefully disentangled his leg from the wires. We cautiously cleared its surrounding and rescued it. I shriveled in bitterness when I saw its state. My friends quickly put some ointment around his leg and bandaged him. We gave some food to it. It then started wagging its tail and licking our hands. We were all on cloud nine.
After three hours of this devastating tragedy, the paramedics, military arrived. They started helping the people and came to their aid. The mishap was settled after a long wait of five hours. We went home and I told mum about the condition of Surat and how my friends helped rescue the dog. I felt glad after doing this good deed. I hoped that dog would be well and good.

(Ria Nisar. Monday 2:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment