Thursday, March 31, 2011

Floods

The floods
“Oh my goodness! See the havoc! The carcasses are floating,” I said when the great floods had arrived in the village of Rampur.
Monsoon is both a bane and a boon to us. It had settled a bit so children played in water and were affected by the diseases like plague, malaria and jaundice. Now, I will tell you about the incident related to the floods at Rampur.
We had gone for an educational trip to Rampur, through our Nature Club to help poor people, who had to fight against the fierce floods. Crops were destroyed by the torrential rain. I was the leader of our team. We sat in a canoe and cleaned up the places. Suddenly, my sister shouted, “I saw a carcass floating in the water!”
Houses had collapsed and huts were submerged under water. Food packets were thrown by army men through helicopters. Water seeped into homes. Men and women were clinging onto trees. Helpless victims raised their cries for help. Powerful waves washed away mud huts. People were rendered homeless. Diseases broke out. We boarded a helicopter and the village looked like an island from up above. Trees were uprooted and were carried away by the forceful water. Many houses were destroyed. The river was causing havoc when the river was in spate. The rain stopped slowly and steadily. People were in great distress due to the loss of our near and dear ones.
I did not like what the floods had done. I prayed that this natural calamity should never be caused again.

-Yug Choksi (Wednesday 9:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment